FNS: Annual General Meeting
Forest Nova Scotia’s 84th Annual General Meeting
January 24th and 25th, 2018 – Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel.
Registration is open, with online payment accepted: (link takes you to Karelo.com)
Click here to register now. Or call 1.902.895.1179 and Brenda can help you register.
Hotel rooms are open for reservations under the Forest Nova Scotia block rate of $132/night, at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel.
Price guarantee not available after January 8th – so book today!! (Link takes you to Marriott site)
Click here to book your rooms now, or call 1.800.943.6760 or locally 1.902.421.1700.
AGENDA (final – updated Jan 17, 2018)
Wednesday, January 24th
1:00pm Registration opens
3:00-3:45pm Coffee and Conversation – Sponsor: Port of Halifax
Grab a coffee and a chat with industry colleagues before kicking off the afternoon’s presentations.
3:45-4:30pm Welcome by FNS President Rick Archibald &
Opening Address – Jack Levy & Tom Beline of Cassidy Levy Kent – NS Trade Council update on the softwood lumber file
4:30-5:45pm Plenary 1 –
- NS Forest Pests Update – Dr. Celia Boone, NS Provincial Entomologist NSDNR
- Forest Edge Influence – Dr. Karen Harper, Adjunct Professor with Dalhousie University and St. Mary’s University
- Impact of Federal SARA (Species at Risk Act) on forestry – Dr. Darren Sleep, Senior Director of Conservation Strategies, SFI Inc (Sustainable Forestry Initiative Inc.)
6:00-8:30pm Reception and dinner with NS MLAs and AGM delegates
Presentation of Kevin Corkum Memorial Award, Don Eldridge Forest Stewardship Award and Forest Stewardship Audit Certificates handed out. Power saw draw sponsored by Forestry Safety Society of Nova Scotia.
8:30pm Hospitality Suite opens
(Sponsors: ALPA Equipment, Brandt Tractor Ltd., LogMax Forestry, MacKay’s Truck & Trailer Centre, Strongco Equipment, Toromont Cat, Wilson Equipment, and WAJAX Equipment)
Thursday, January 25th
7:30am Registration Opens
8:00am Exhibit area opens
8:00-9:00am Breakfast and Forest Nova Scotia Annual General Business Meeting
(Generator Draw-must be present to win sponsored by: ALPA Equipment, Brandt Tractor Ltd., LogMax Forestry, MacKay’s Truck & Trailer Centre, Strongco Equipment, Toromont Cat, Wilson Equipment, and WAJAX Equipment)
9:00-10:00am Plenary 2 –
- MCFT Curriculum Review – Tim Marshall, Executive Director MCFT
- Apprenticeship Programs Update– Paula Demone, Sr Industry Consultant NS Apprenticeship Agency
- Trucking Weights and Dimensions in NS: A 10 yr Retrospective – Mike Balsom, Manager of Fleet Services, NSTIR
10:00-10:45am Coffee Break in Exhibit area – Sponsor: Port of Sheet Harbour
10:45-12pm Plenary 3 –
- Landowner Panel featuring Debbie Reeves (NS Large Landowners Group), Stacie Carroll (Executive Director, FNSWO), and Kari Easthouse (NSLFFPA) discussing topics of importance to the landowner sector.
12:00-1:15pm Industry Luncheon
Guest speaker Hon. Margaret Miller – Minister, NS Department of Natural Resources
Luncheon sponsors: Groupe Savoie; JD Irving Ltd.; Marwood Ltd.; Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Ltd.; Nova Scotia Power; Port Hawkesbury Paper; Wagner Forest NS Ltd.; and Wood Product Manufacturers Association of Nova Scotia
1:15-1:45pm Log-a-Load for Kids Prize Draws
1:45-3:00pm Plenary 4 –
- Partnership in restoring Sheet Harbour’s West River – Dr. Eddie Halfyard, The NS Salmon Association
- The latest Tech in Forestry – Riley Côté-DeMerchant, Leading Edge Geomatics
- Managing Crown Forests – Andrew Fedora, PHP