2017 Annual General Meeting
We’ll be hosting our 83rd Annual General Meeting on January 24th and 25th, 2017 at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel.
Registration is open, with online payment accepted: (link takes you to Karelo.com)
Click here to register now. Or call 1.902.895.1179 and Brenda can help you register.
Hotel rooms are open for reservations under the Forest Nova Scotia block rate of $126/night, at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel.
JANUARY 9th is last day for the guaranteed rate – so book today!!(Link takes you to Marriott site)
Click here to book your rooms now, or call 1.800.943.6760 or locally 1.902.421.1700.
AGENDA (updated Jan 18th, 2017)
Tuesday, January 24th
1:00pm Registration opens
3:00-3:45pm Coffee and Conversation – Sponsored by Port of Halifax
Grab a coffee and a chat with industry colleagues before kicking off the afternoon’s presentations.
3:45-4:30pm President’s Welcome (Rick Archibald) &
Opening Address – Finn Poschmann President & CEO, Atlantic Provinces Economic Council – “Fire, Aim, Ready? Canada’s Emerging Climate Policy.”
4:30-5:45pm Plenary 1 –
- SLA Update – NS DNR Staff
- WoodWORKS Update – Patrick Crabbe, WoodWORKS Atlantic
- Trade Barriers and Opportunities for Regulatory Reform in Atlantic Canada – Leanne Hachey, Office of Regulatory Affairs and Service Effectiveness
6:00-8:30pm Reception/dinner with NS MLAs and AGM delegates
Presentation of Kevin Corkum Memorial Award, Don Eldridge Forest Stewardship Award and Forest Stewardship Audit Certificates handed out, power saw draw
8:30pm Hospitality Suites open
(Sponsored by: ALPA Equipment, Atlantic Cat, Brandt Tractor Ltd., LogMax, Strongco, and Wilson Equipment)
Wednesday, January 25th
7:30am Registration Opens
8:00am Exhibit area opens
8:00-9:00am Breakfast and Forest Nova Scotia Annual General Business Meeting
(Generator Draw-must be present to win)
9:00-10:00am Plenary 2 –
- Using Citizen Science to fight Spruce Budworm – Dr Rob Johns, CFS/NRCan
- Wood Pallets Update– Brian Isard, CPWCA
- Year 1 update on WestFor – Marcus Zwicker, WestFor
10:00-10:45am Coffee Break in Exhibit area – Sponsored by Port of Sheet Harbour
10:45-12pm Plenary 3 –
- Economic Impact of NS Forest Industry – Bob Fraser, Gardner Pinfold
- ForestInfo introduction and update – Derek MacFarlane, CFS–Atlantic Forestry Centre
- Landscape Scale Planning Pilot Update – Peter Bush, NSDNR-Forestry Division
12:00-1:15pm Industry Luncheon
Guest speaker Hon. Lloyd Hines – Minister, NS Department of Natural Resources
Luncheon sponsors: Groupe Savoie, Marwood Ltd, Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Ltd., Port Hawkesbury Paper, Wagner Forest NS Ltd, and Wood Product Manufacturers Association of Nova Scotia.
1:15-1:45pm Log-a-Load for Kids Prize Draws
1:45-3:30pm Plenary 4 –
- New Product Development at PHP – Marc Dube, Port Hawkesbury Paper
- Machine Operator Training Pilot – Rodd Badcock, BioApplied
- Lessons from Finland Family Forests – John MacDougall, FNSWO